"Adventures, I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten."

-Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Story of Trip 1

If you aren't my Facebook friend, then I apologize for keeping you in the dark a bit. And even my FB friends didn't get a ton of details on our first trip, but they did get more pictures. :)

As you all know, the little one we were hoping to adopt became unavailable due to paperwork and the special needs list in her country. We were left reeling and not knowing how exactly to proceed, but we knew that we had to leave in a few days, and that there was a child there for us, we just had to go find her. We were tossed quite far outside our comfort zones, but were ready to step off the cliff of faith and continue this journey.

We arrived in the big city a day before our appointment, so we had some time to rest and eat, walk around, and try to relax. The day of our appointment, we were up early and very nervous and anxious. We were warned that we might not find a referral, that our paperwork wasn't extensive enough and that we had to be realistic. We were well prepared, we were ready.

The appointment went well, with our facilitator really working hard to help the lady at the office find referrals. They called and double checked info, found profiles and talked us through a lot of diagnosis. In the end, there were a few wonderful little girls that fit our homestudy. All were beautiful and of course all worth of a home, love and a chance. That was perhaps the hardest part of this journey so far. We had to choose. We were urged to take our time and talk it over. Staring at the little faces, one little one stood out to us. We couldn't really explain it, but we asked for her.

Lots of calls and talking and waiting later, we were signing to accept her referral! The next day we picked it up and then we got on the overnight train to her region. The next morning we were greeted off the train by our facilitator and we were off running. We went to the social workers office and some paperwork there, then off to the baby house! We met the director and the doctor, got some more information and talked about her health and the last year she's had at the baby house, and then suddenly she came up the stairs before us! She took our breath away, so tiny and absolutely perfect. And of course she wanted not a thing to do with us! But the nanny handed her over to me anyway. She was of course scared, there were at least 10 people standing there looking at her and she's suddenly in the arms of a total stranger! She was ok for a few minutes, then started to cry and the nanny took her back and they left. And we were asked if we wanted to adopt her! Of course, we said yes!

More paperwork, running around, and we found ourselves at our apartment late that afternoon. It was quite the day! The next few days were filled with exploring the city, visiting our baby girl, and just enjoying the country we've come to love. Another family joined us in region a few days later and we found a great Irish pub that had an English menu and wonderful food! We also found the market and did a little shopping. The only thing we were unable to find is souveniers! But thanks to my friend I have a few leads for that on our second trip. ;)

We were told of our court date just a few days before. We were able to prepare and write up our little speech, get our paperwork together, etc. And court went well! We were really pleased with our timeline, but we had to say goodbye to babygirl. I dreaded it. She was already crying at the end of our visits and not wanting to go back. We also knew this visit would be short since we had to get to the airport. We played for about 45mins and then took her back into her room. The nannies knew we were leaving (we asked our facilitator to tell them so they knew we'd be back!) and they told us it was ok, only two weeks, and asked her name. :) They all really seem to care for her and she is well taken care of. Of course I cried, and they patted my shoulder and smiled, and they consoled a crying babygirl and told me they'd take care of her. And we had to go. :(

WE got to the airport and after many hours of traveling, arrived home to three very anxious kids standing at the window waiting for us! :) We missed them so much, it was great to be home and be able to put them to bed.

So now we are counting down the days until Al and I can return and bust babygirl out of the baby house. When that happens, I will bombard you all with pictures!
Thank you for all of your prayers and good thoughts for our trip. Please continue..... we will be back there in 1.5wks and then home about a week after that. It can't come fast enough, I left my mama heart there and I miss her so much!


Milena said...

Thanks for sharing some more info with us! I'm so happy that you found your girl and that she grew fond of your visiting her! How wonderful it will be when you share pictures of her home with her siblings! Will you share how old she is? She does seem to be well younger than Alina! Does she have CP like Alina? Have you given her too a new that starts with an A?

amanda vigale said...

So glad everything has worked out so well and glad you are able to bring her home soon, cannot wait to see and hear more about her again congratulations to you all!!!!!