"Adventures, I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten."

-Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Where does the time go?

I'm certain  I ask this question every year. As the kids gear up for school and people ask 'What grade are they going into?' and I answer... this year '5th grade, first grade and preschool' and my brain short circuits and I pause; are my kids REALLY that old? Where has the time gone? How has my chubby little baby grown to a 5th grader who is starting band and excells in every subject? How is it possible my sweet baby boy is in FIRST GRADE, making friends crazy fast and reading chapter books like no tomorrow? And my little girl! Such a puny little thing when she came home, so helpless and small, walking herself out to the bus and going to preschool four afternoons a week, talking non.stop. about her friends and her teachers and school and anything else that jumps into that fantastic brain of hers! And I anticipate how our little one will fit into this funky little family we have created. She will be the baby! We will have four afternoons a week alone, just the two of us. What a marvelous thing... so much time to spend together, just the two of us. We cannot get her home fast enough.

Here are a few first day of school pictures. I just can't believe how grown they are!



No comments: