"Adventures, I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten."

-Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Friday, December 9, 2011

A walking update

Alina is doing AMAZING with walking! She walks all over now, and its fun to watch her carry her plate to the sink after meals or get her own cup, simple every day things. Of course we are still working on proper gait, and still considering options for her (surgery, orthotics, etc) but from not even being able to sit on her butt a year ago to walking today.... not too shabby!

(she walks a little better without these goofy boots on, but she insists and she doesn't fall, so I let them slide on non-school day. :)) Also she is supposed to be wearing derotational bands, but they stress her out so we don't wear them as much as we are supposed to. She does just fine without them, however with them on her feet are very straight.
WITH her AFO's on....

video

And these last two are without AFO's on. :)

video


video

2 comments:

Shasta said...

Yaaaay!! So exciting! My son just stood by himself for the first time (well, it was really more clinging to the crib railing, but I wasn't holding him so it counts!) Blog post to come soon.

From the CP Connection!

Lia said...

Alina is a true hero :-) And she is doing so amazingly well!

I'm a Hungarian girl and stumbled upon your blog by accident. I had a major knee surgery and have had a full leg cast for 6 weeks, which resulted in tight muscles and very limited range of motion in my knee. Walking is painful and I can only take 2-3 steps at a time. I was looking for some kind of advice or something to lift my mood a bit - and then I found your blog. I am humbled and amazed by the strength and endurance of your little girl, and watching all the walking videos from a while back and now, and how far she had come made me cry.

Thank you so much for sharing this journey, and please tell Alina, that the video of her walking gave faith and energy and made it easier for a girl in a far-away country to start to learn walking again :-)

Love,
Lia