"Adventures, I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten."

-Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Friday, October 14, 2011

One whole year ago...

...we were standing in a cold Ukrainian courtroom asking to be Alina's parents. I remember walking into that room and feeling REFRESHED! Crazy, right? Let me explain. Ukrainians like it hot, and the baby house, our apartment, stores, the bus were all hot. And anyone that knows me knows I'm comfy at about 65 degrees. Anything above 80 and I'm ready to burst into flames.

Save for the cage on one wall (for bad guys, thankfully we didn't have to stand in it!) the courtroom was beautiful and the woodwork gorgeous. Eugene, Sasha (our facilitator) and I squeezed our butts onto one bench. She was in the middle because she was translating for us.

The entire experience was surreal. The Judge read through our paperwork and I gave our speech. We were asked a few questions and they looked at our photo album, and then we were asked to sit while they left the room. A few minutes later they came back and announced us Alina's mom and dad! It was such an emotional moment for us, and as the jurors walked out and warmly took our hands and wished us luck (or congratulations, I don't recall) we couldn't help but shed our tears and grin like fools telling them 'Spaseeba! Spaseeba!'

We had lunch and then headed to see Alina at the baby house. She had no idea what was going on or why we were still blubbering goofs during our visit.

















Taken on our afternoon visit after court.

I can't believe its been a year.
Happy one year 'made ya ours day', Alina!

(and don't forget about Operation: Christmas in Nikolaev! See the button to the right. Any donation helps, be it a small toy for one of the boxes, an entire packed box, $2, $10, 20 packed boxes... every little bit helps bring Christmas to the little ones still waiting! Everything has to be packed and ready to ship by Oct 31st! Please visit the blog and donate!)

1 comment:

Kayce said...

Happy Family Day!! I absolutely LOVE that picture of you guys!