"Adventures, I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten."

-Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bullies

My son is being picked on at school. Petty things that only immature little kids can think up to pick on a kid about, but enough to where its affecting him. And the worst part is its coming from some kids I'd never expect it out of. Kids we've known since they were very small. A couple of these kids ride his bus and are in his class. And at least one of the kids' parents read this blog and apparently let their kids read it too, as I had to remove a video and some pictures because he was being made fun of for it. Ooookay.

Its sad when a kid like Al (or any kid really) gets picked on. Al is the most easy going kid you'd ever meet. Even when I tried to give him ammo to fire back at these little buttheads, he wouldn't do it. He doesn't want to hurt their feelings even though they hurt his multiple times a day. So he's an easy target. And it frustrates me, he doesn't deserve this. I would never say my kid is perfect because no person is, but I know that he's kind hearted and wouldn't hurt anyone.

He loves school. He loves the bus. I hate to see it all go down the drain because some kids are jerks. But I don't know how to help because what *I* would do is not what he would do... I don't want to make it worse. I sent him to school today with some words and ways to get it to stop, telling him if he doesn't stand up for himself it will never end, and probably get worse. I guess next is to get in contact with the kids' parents. These kids should know they live in a small town, everyone knows everyone's parents.

6 comments:

Gretchen Thibault said...

oh, I'm so sorry. That hurts. Be sure to tell him to pray for their hearts. That always helps my kids. Ask God to have mercy on them. I will pray for his little heart too.

ErinL said...

I'm so sorry! That makes me angry and I've never even met your kids! Please tell Al that there are people praying for him that he doesn't even know.

Hilary Marquis said...

We could send him on the bus with his own posse...Toby and Anthony wouldn't put up with that garbage. Anthony can be "the mouth" and Toby can be the big, silent, intimidating presence or "muscle"...as long as he doesn't speak no one will suspect he's a big old softy!

Wendy said...

Aww, Becky that's so heartbreaking. What about approaching the teacher and asking the teacher to chat with the class about bullying (in general) so that the bullies will get the message without anyone, Al included, being singled out? Most schools have a no bullying policy.

debi said...

This breaks my heart. My kids are grown now but we went through this too. I found you just a few months ago and enjoy reading about your family and especially your new daughter. What a special girl. Thank you for sharing your journey.

Me said...

Oh Becky...I hate that. Peyton has dealt with that before too and especially on the bus in 3rd and 4th grade...and even this year early on! Has made me sooo mad. I always tell him to pray for the kids. You still dont want your child to hurt though!