"Adventures, I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten."

-Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March is Cerebral Palsy Awareness month

I learned that today. :) March is Cerebral Palsy Awareness month. I learn more about CP every day. Alina has Cerebral Palsy. Lower spastic diplegia to be exact. She has increased muscle tone in her legs which causes the muscles to be very tight (spastic) and hard to move. Because of that, when she steps she looks like she is marching. Her little feet turn in because the muscles are so tight.

But in her torso she has weak muscles, and that affects her balance. Most of the physical therapy we are doing right now is to strengthen her core since she's made huge progress with her legs and they are very strong, she uses them well. Mommy should be doing some of this core strengthening too. But my core isn't weak, its just flabby. :)

So in an effort to bring awareness, you can all learn along with me! I will be posting information that I have found helpful over the last year that I've been researching CP. Well, almost a year. There are so many kids who wait who are affected by Cerebral Palsy. It ranges from minor CP like Alina's to major CP that affects all the limbs. Cognitive abilities also range... it all depends on where the brain damage is. I hope that everyone can learn along with me. :)

3 comments:

Corinne said...

I think you are doing an awesome job with Alina. She looks great and progressing so much !

ErinL said...

WOOOHOOO for CP awareness! Speaking of learning new things, tomorrow Oksana will be taped with Kinesio tape. This is new to me so I'll post pictures and explain it as best I can tomorrow. Oh and on cafepress.com if you type in cerebral palsy you can find some cool stuff. I want to get this shirt for Oksana that says "I love (heart) my" and then it has a picture of leg braces! Cracked me up! Then if you type in Ukranian princess you can find cute shirts too. I'm a sucker for a cute tshirt ;).

Anonymous said...

Our son also has spastic diplegia. I have been looking into the unique therapies of the IAHP (Google it plus 'Glenn Doman') and this might interest you too. To me, I think it looks amazing and promises hope. (They don't buy into the idea that it 'can't be cured')