"Adventures, I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten."

-Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Thursday, March 17, 2011

God made you just for her.

If someone had told me 5yrs ago... heck even a year ago, that I'd be parenting a child with Cerebral Palsy I would have smiled and said 'okay thanks' and walked away. But then we seen this picture....



and that sweet faced changed everything. I began researching cerebral palsy and the types, how it affects kids, what causes it, and the prognosis. Suddenly that big scary term wasn't so big or scary. It was simply her. We knew we were looking at our daughter, simple as that.

Its takes alot of learning (and teaching others) to raise a child with a disability. But isn't every child worth it? Anyone who has read my blog for even a day can see how far Alina has come in such a short time. I have to remind myself daily she's only been here for 5 months! She's always been right there in my heart, but I didn't know it until we seen her sweet face. But now its like she's always been here, because in a way, she has.

Today at Target, Alina and I were just wasting time until Anthony got out of school. We didn't need anything and were in no rush so I didn't get a cart, just held her hand and we wandered around the store for 1/2 hour. I let her touch the toys and push buttons and look at all the shoes, even though none fit over her AFO's, she didn't care. We were in the game isle when an older lady walked up to us smiling. She had a purpose on her face and I smiled back. She told me that she had watched us walk in from the parking lot and said that she wish she could take a picture of us, walking slowly, talking on our way in and smiling at each other. She said it was beautiful, me holding her hand taking tiny steps with her and waiting patiently while she stepped up the curb and we made our way in the door. She told me she seen Alina was a special child right away, and it was obvious the love that we had for each other. And then she said something that I will never forget..... she said 'Its obvious that God made you just for her.' I smiled and told this sweet lady our story of adoption, and she had tears in her eyes. She told us she knew it, that God truly did make us for each other. She said 'God Bless you both' and walked away with a little wave.

So Barb, wherever you are, please know the huge impact you had on me today. After the ignorance of others earlier in the week, your taking the time to stop and share. I will never forget it.

6 comments:

Tabitha said...

That was wonderful of her, its little comments that make peoples day and everyone should try to do that once in a while.

sbisted said...

This just gave me goosebumps. Its great to hear that there are still kind, caring and generous people out there that care enough to stop and give encouragement!

Trina said...

Isn't that just like God though?? You have a few people make some ignorant comments and He sends someone to make the most sweetest and loving comment so true to our Lord's nature. What a blessing and you're right...y'all were a family way before you knew ;)

KellyLane said...

And now I have tears in my eyes. God is good! I'm glad He sent an angel to remind you what a sweet blessing you two are to each other.

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness. I teared up over here! How kind of that woman to share.

Anonymous said...

Sweet, sweet, sweet! So email me and tell me about those ignorant comments from earlier in the week.........
Liesl