"Adventures, I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten."

-Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

We're there, man!

We left our house at 7:30am on Monday morning. We dropped our oldest off at our neighbors house to get on the bus and took off for the airport. Of course we got stuck in road construction and traffic, but we left early enough that it wasn't a problem. Got all checked in, no problem. The flight from Minneapolis to Chicago was uneventful, short and painless. :) We had a layover in Chicago, so we hung out, rested a bit, got something to eat and drink, and then boarded the largest plane ever to Germany. I was very nervous, I don't fly well and the takeoff was like being in a rocket instead of an airplane, it was so loud!

Lufthansa was our airline, and they are wonderful! So nice, and they serve real food, and it was just an all around wonderful flight. They should take that as a huge compliment from me!

We arrived and were picked up at the airport by our driver, holding a sign with our name on it! Just like in the movies! He's super nice, brought us to our apartment and then dropped us off at the grocery store and said 'look for the yellow sign to change some money over' and left! I was thanking God I learned basic language before we left! When it comes to single words and short phrases, I rock. ok not really, but I can get by. I'm hoping that by being totally immersed in the culture for a month will help me really pick it up.

How am I feeling? Well I'm glad you didn't ask. I'm tired. We both are. When we were flying from Germany here, the clouds finally let up so we could see the ground, and thats when it became really overwhelming for us. Landing and driving to our apartment was surreal, I was trying to soak it all in, and we are saving the goofiest things for our girl... coins, receipts, flyers, anything that is in her language. :) It may not seem important, but its something.

Tomorrow is our big appointment! And then prayerfully by Thursday night we will be on the train to her area!

7 comments:

Liesl said...

You can do this! I'm praying each day and will be watching my email in case you have any questions while you are there about your little one. God is good, He's good ALL of the time. Thinking of you..........

Liesl

Kathryn said...

I'm so happy for you Becky and I can't believe you are there! I'm so glad you are saving those little tokens for her. One day she will really appreciate them!! <3 <3 <3

panheadanne said...

I think it's a great idea to save some little 'silly' mementos from your trip! Some day she will look through them and it will make the story of your trip to get her more real. And you may be able to tell her more. It's the little things that can remind us of so much detail.

Sarah said...

This is so amazing....I'm thankful to be a part of your life, if only long distance, and to be able to share this with you in this small way. Reading about your flight has me so excited, I can't imagine how I'm going to feel when I read about your first meeting with Alina, let alone how you and E must feel right now and the emotions that you'll experience over the next little while. I wish you uber amounts of happiness and joy!!

Roberta said...

I'm giddy! I look so forward to your updates! Can't wait until you get to meet your little girl! What an amazing experience!

Hilary Marquis said...

SOOO glad that the trip was good for you...lots of prayers over here about that ;) As for saving "silly" stuff, I have a Snickers wrapper printed in russian, a baby food jar in russian, the pen from the hotel, the bib from the KLM flight, the tickets from the Kyrgyz Ballet...don't worry, your memory box will look just like mine!

Steph said...

Aww...all the great (and not so great) memories this brings back. I, too, saved stuff for Isaiah's scrapbook. For the coins I tried to get one of each of his birth year. I can't believe I'm finally following you now!