"Adventures, I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten."

-Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

21 years

March 16th, 1989. Twenty-one years ago today. Its hard to imagine that 21yrs ago my dad passed away. It seems like such a lifetime ago, and some memories take a lot of work to process. Others are so vivid they play in my mind like a movie.

My dad had very curly hair, and when I was little I would sit on his shoulders at night and put my little hair barrettes in his hair. What patience that must have took, to let a 2yr old sit on your shoulders and clip 100 pastel hair barrettes in your hair! I remember sitting with him in his chair one night when I was sick.... just sitting together.

Smells do it too. The smell of sawdust always takes me back, and the smell of diesel. My dad build his own sawmill from scratch, so those were two familiar smells. And for some reason I haven't quite pinpointed yet, that beautiful smell of crunchy Fall leaves on the ground.

In many ways, my Anthony reminds me of my dad. He's built like him, he has some of his mannerisms. We used to joke that my dad only hit the ground every third step, and boy does that describe Anthony too! The night he held his fork by the end and shook it at us at the dinner table like my dad used to do to us kids.... I had to excuse myself from the table.

My dad was only 38 when he passed away. I didn't realize just how young that was until I became an adult myself. I look at my small children, my oldest almost the age I was when my dad died, and I can't imagine how my mom did it with four of us. She's so amazing... also something I didn't fully appreciate until I was grown.

Twenty-one years is a long time, but we still miss you all the same Dad.

3 comments:

Kayce said...

Hugs Becky...you're in my thoughts today.

KellyLane said...

:) I used to fill my dad's hair with barrettes too! I'm glad you have good memories to reflect back on today. (((Hugs)))

IASoupMama said...

Much love, dear... It is so very obvious that he left a big imprint on you and how you raise your beautiful, wonderful family. ((( hug )))