"Adventures, I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten."

-Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Friday, January 8, 2010

The things little boys collect

At any given time on the top of my washing machine is a mix of odd trinkets. A cool rock, an ugly rock, a washer, nut or bolt, paper, small car, a string.... the mix is much larger in the summer when the boys explore the back yard, putting everything into their pockets. This past summer when the trash truck flew by our house doing mach 9, it threw out tons of those packing peanuts, and my then 3yr old diligently walked through the ditch and picked them up. I emptied his jacket out that night and he had at least 40 of them stuffed into his little pockets!

Their dressers are just as interesting. I will have to get pictures of them. On Big A's night stand there is a long row of model school buses, all perfectly lined up according to size, year, and make. :) He also has a growing collection of snowplow trucks and police cars. (you don't want to see the Hot Wheels bin in the playroom.... its large and overflowing!). On his dresser there are all his Cub Scout things, some little things he's made with melting dots and Pix-O's, a rock collection, whistle, small flashlight, flattened pennies, a railroad tye, Railroad police badge......

Little A has a more eccentric collection, because I suppose when you are 4, everything is interesting. He loves Jibbitz, but not on his shoes. He has about 10 on his dresser that he likes to keep. He also has flattened pennies, a railroad tye, railroad police badge, a whistle, some rocks, small trains, wheels and steering wheels from Matchbox cars (why? No idea). Things that I grumble about when I dust, but things that are so obviously very important to little boys.

I don't remember if I had these habits as a kid. I remember being fascinated with everything though, and thats why these things remain on their dressers, and why I smile as I empty pockets while doing laundry. It reminds me that they will only be this small for a short time, and soon that orange rock or that packing peanut won't be nearly as important. I think I will take pictures of their things as they arrange them, to remind not only myself of their quirky ways as little ones, but to show them, and hopefully some day they will get the warm fuzzies from memories of their younger days.

2 comments:

Vernetta said...

I really like the way you've been blogging lately - keep it up! :)

Kayce said...

This post just makes me giggle! My washer and dryer are always filled with all things boy! As my son has gotten older the rocks have been replaced by rubber bands, tech decks and the occasional note. :)