"Adventures, I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't. And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten."

-Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Why adoption?

Well I'm not exactly sure... really. Growing up I had two friends who were adopted, and at the time I wasn't completely sure why or how, but I got it, and it planted a seed that has stayed with me to this day. When E and I were first married, we talked about adoption and since all countries have a minimum age, we put it off to address in the future. After the birth of our 2nd son, we talked about it again, but again put it off because of the age limits in the country we had originally chosen.

When the baby turned 2, we really got down to discussing adoption. Neither of us can really describe WHY we feel to adopt. God is leading us here, as our originally chosen country gained long waits and uncertanties, I began researching other countries. Slowly we began to see doors closing... we didn't meet the requirements or the travel in country was 4-8wks.. which we just couldn't do andl eave the boys behind that long. As it began to look like we would just have to wait, suddenly Kyrgyzstan 'appeared', and our agency was there, and it all fell into place.

I used to watch the Baby Stories on tv and get all teary eyed when I'd see a mother give birth. We both long for a third child, but neither of us really has the desire to go through pregnancy again (though I'll admit I had very textbook pregnancies and easy labor/deliver with both). Today I was flipping channels at naptime while making a hat, and DIscovery Health had 'Adoption stories' on. I found myself glued to the TV, feeling what these parents were feeling.

I know, WE know, that adoption is right for us. Its still hard to explain to family and friends who question us as to why we are adopting. 'Obviously we can have kids... why not just have one more?' is something we've heard more than once.

Adoption is in our hearts, and we know our baby girl is out there, we just have to be patient until she comes into this world, and God leads us to her.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I just found your blog as I was playing on the internet. I look forward to following your adoption journey. I also love all of the different things that you make.

Corinne said...

Just found your blog.Welcome to the adoption community.Look forward to seeing your journey unfold.

cozadfamily said...

I need a hat in a tiny, baby newborn size in bright pink. Do you paypal?